Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Two Great Ones in a Row

It's been tough to update this blog as often as I'd like--as soon as I get out of the shower, I'm off to another event for Senior Week, MIT's week-long celebration for the graduating class involving free food and copious amounts of booze. And the almost nightly house-warming parties as we celebrate our first apartments and the feeling of maybe being an adult that goes with it--albeit adults with cardboard furniture. No real estate for me, though, since I'm back to dorm life, grad student-style, once I get to California in the fall.

Anyway. Last Friday's run was awesome! My first run with my new iPod nano, which is unfortunately so light that it likes to leap out of my pocket, but which still made my longest run yet go down really easily. I started slow, plotted out the route in advance, loaded up an album, and off I was. I stayed in the zone until six miles later, when I returned after just over an hour and bragged to everyone I saw about how now I can run almost half a half-marathon. And then, of course, I ate copious amounts of food, one of my favorite parts of running.

Two days later, on Sunday, I had another great time. This one was short--my usual 3 miles--but I could tell this one was going to be good. Even though it was 80 degrees, I could just feel myself being faster and lighter on my feet. And my legs felt strong beneath me. I took maybe one quick walking break, but made it through my "finish line" with a triumphant under-half-hour time of 29:17--my fastest since high school. This run was the first time I decided to make a playlist, then shuffle it. Not knowing what would come next, and then hearing a song I loved, definitely helped pick me up and set a good mood.

My conclusion: the persistence seems to be paying off, so I'll keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment